Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #385 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsd View Post
In every band (no matter how lopsided the talent is) all the members play a role, so I think that argument is kind of moot. Nobody is saying Reed just sat there and plucked at his guitar. With that being said, I really don't think Reed's lyrics played as much of a role in VU's success as Cale's amazing production did. What The Velvet Underground is known for and truly respected for is it's avant-garde approach to music. I've never met someone that lauded the group's lyric writing as much as their music writing.

And yeah, I'll check out New York. I don't think I've gotten around to listening to that yet and it's been on my to-do list.
Bands and musicians all the time have a focal person in the group. Look at the Doors. Jim Morrison MADE that band. Sure, the others were versatile at their instruments, but Morrison was the only reason why they were great. Also, look at the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Again, Hendrix MADE the band. With the Velvet Underground all of them contributed equally. Sterling Morrison played a huge role in the overall production of the first record and Maurine Tucker invented drumming of punk, not to mention held a delightful philosophy of percussion instruments. And yes, Reed's lyrics DID play just as much as a role as Cale's avant-garde feel. Many musicologists (yes, that's a word) cite how revolutionary the subjects he brought up were, not to mention the poet value they held. Look at the lyrics of "Black Angel's Death Song" (my favorite song from & Nico besides "Heroin" and "Venus in Furs." Don't get me wrong though, Cale played a HUGE HUGE HUGE role in the Velvets' sound. Like I said, I think they were all equal in their own way. I mean... Cale (along with La Monte Young's help) invented drone music (especially in rock and pop culture). By the way, I am enjoying this discussion. I love talking about VU (as well as other avant garde and experimental musicians).
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote