Music Banter - View Single Post - Got Feminism?
Thread: Got Feminism?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
Dotoar
Supernatural anaesthetist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Well, technically, statistically most college graduates are women, and there's been very little to match the wage gaps. So, yes, there is still a place for feminism. Even if society is legally fair to women, there always has to be a force to encourage, and support, and push for women to strive harder.

Apart from that, I am kind of iffy on some feminist values. I feel that sometimes feminist people tend to be incredibly irony illiterate, and overly preachy. I've seen to the point of trying to construe the word "bitch" as some sort of sexist epitome.

However, there are some values I do agree with. One I definitely see is the struggle against the cosmetic/tabloid industry. An industry that profits off of creating an image of feminine beauty that is literally unattainable(Plastic surgery, starvation, camera tricks, photoshop enhancement) yet consistently wants to push women to attempt to reach paying hand over fist to enhance themselves to this illusion of perfection to attract mates that it's statistically proven men don't even expect them to strive for.

Worse yet, from this, there are so many women who obviously conform to this standard of beauty in order to achieve some level of mainstream exposure (entertainers across the board, pretty much. From Jan the weatherlady to Jessica Alba) who turn around and try to defend their "beauty" of which obviously they've attained only to procure economic success, as some sort of skewed pro-feminine viewpoint.

For reasons like mentioned above, I think there's very much a need for feminism, and always will be, really.
This is one of few, if not the only, entries here that actually approaches what is asked for in the thread start.