Music Banter - View Single Post - Blur
Thread: Blur
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #95 (permalink)
Dotoar
Supernatural anaesthetist

Another thread that needs bumping. Blur is definitely worthy candidates of being the best of the britpop bunch, and that for one reason: They had an artistic vision, conjured by Albarn and Coxon in whom they had two creative songwriters. How many bands of the last 20 years can boast that? (Don't answer, I'm not in the mood). For me, they are more of an art band than a simple pop act and the lyrics and arrangements reek of biting sarcasm. I feel kinda sorry for those who don't see the irony in lines like the chorus of "Girls and boys" or "For tomorrow" (which doesn't even have words). Or the fact that "Song 2" was more like a profound bait for those who'd like themselves yet another grungy screamfest, rather than the straight-faced real deal? These kind of things set them miles apart from Oasis with whom they are constantly compared for purely ridiculous reasons. Simply put: Blur were smart while Oasis were dumb.

As for their albums I'd say: "13" > "Blur" > theholytrinityofbritpopclassics > "Leisure"