Music Banter - View Single Post - Ambient and Drone.
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
dankrsta

@clutnuckle - That was a perfect explanation of differences between ambient and drone. I'd like to add that ambient, like clutnuckle pointed out, is a music that gives the illusion of occupying and filling out space, since it doesn't really evolve through time, being repetitive or changing really slowly. But I always felt that real, pure drone music is timeless and spaceless (kind of out of this world).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Thanks man, yeah I know Glenn Branca, I've only got The Ascension though - pretty stunning album. Been meaning to look into Niblock.

BTW, check out Charlemagne Palestine's Schlingen-Blängen if you havent already. It's an hour-long piece based upon one single Organ note. If you can sit through the whole thing it's better than drugs.
Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't yet listened to any of his music and what you described certainly sounds like a challenge.

Speaking of Glenn Branca, I forgot to mention another composer also known for guitar symphonies and is one of many influenced by La Monte Young, Rhys Chatham. He's probably best known for his Guitar Trio and like Glenn Branca, he was really into the New York punk and No Wave scene having worked with the members of Band of Susans especially (and Branca with Sonic Youth members, we all know that). From what I've heard I think A Crimson Grail might be what you want. I have a version for 400 guitars and it has three pieces from 16 to 20 min long with very long drones, but also has some trembling quality that I find especially appealing. I found this 200 guitar version on youtube (excerpts actually, but you'll get the idea if you haven't heard it):
YouTube - Rhys Chatham: "A Crimson Grail (Version for 200 Guitars)" (Excerpts)

Speaking of this trembling quality as I called it (maybe clumsily but I can't think of a better word for now...maybe flickering or a tremor, vibrating)...where was I, yeah, I want to suggest a composer that especially made that quality his ultimate expression, György Ligeti. Now, I don't know much about music theory, but from what I understood he worked with tone clusters and was especially interested in color and texture of sound. The end result is in parts actually similar to drone: YouTube - Atmospheres-Gyorgy Ligeti (One of his several compositions Kubrick used in 2001: A Space Odyssey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
wow i really enjoyed all of those....for some reason i've never actually listened to Glen Branca's orchestral work....it was wonderful

i have to say though the first 9Pauline Oliveros) and last (Windy and Carl) on your list were truly mind numbing.....i'm looking for them now

this was the perfect mix to listen to while finishing my paperwork
I'm glad you liked it. Glenn Branca's work is simply wonderful imo. From what I've heard (4 'albums') my favorites are The Ascension and Symphony No. 6 (Devil Choirs at the Gates of Heaven)