Music Banter - View Single Post - Stupid musical statements that you can't fathom
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #179 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sljslj View Post
So I'm trying to show a buddy of mine Pelican, and I find him staring at me about twenty minutes into the Australasia album...

Me: "Got a problem?"
Him: "Well, it's just that we've been listening to this for a while now and there's no singing."
Me: "It's instrumental."
Him: "What the hell does that mean?"
Me: "Really? It means there's no singing."
Him: "That's stupid. What's the point of music with no words?"
In my head: "****in' idiot. Just go back to your Kanye West and Lady Gaga."

Another guy yesterday tried to convince me that all music is based on lyrics. Couldn't really even call it a conversation, 'cause after he said that all I could do was stare in disbelief of his stupidity.
It's not accurate, I but I can see where the second person is coming from if he meant that's his favorite part of music. I kind of used to lean that way, but I certainly knew what an instrumental was

Here's a non specific one that's been bothering me...

Hip Hop and Rap are not different genres. Why do so many people think this? Strictly speaking, Hip Hop is the musical genre and "Rap" or "rapping" is the vocal technique used in that genre. But I've met people who are really convinced otherwise and when I try to explain my understanding of it, they cite examples like Kid Cudi, Chris Brown, and The Black Eyed Peas as hip hop, and Biggie Smalls, 2pac, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc as "rap."

Thing is, they're just calling a different era and sub genre of hip hop "rap" while calling just about whatever hip hop is on the radio today "hip hop". It takes 30 seconds to look it up and learn for themselves yet they don't.

I don't get why not.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote