Music Banter - View Single Post - Any other anarchists on here?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #94 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

For anarchy to be successful it would mean giving up every modern comfort from the internet to toiletries to succeed, and I don't think a single anarchist here has considered this or would be willing to go through with it.

The very existence of products and services creates a need for structured trade that can't possibly be waved away with notions like "sharing is caring". There are jobs in our societies which are so difficult, disgusting, or dangerous that nobody would willingly undertake them without a system of compensation. Ask yourself, would you be willing to unblock the sewers of America for the greater good?

I think it was Tore who said complete anarchy isn't even natural in the animal kingdom, which is one of the best points I've seen made. Every animal from horses to baboons has a social structure, a hierarchy with leaders, and followers, and, yes, punishments. Perhaps anarchy had potential back when we were still microbes multiplying in the sea, but I think that anybody who believes it is possible now either hasn't thought it through very well, or is hopelessly quixotic about the human species.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote