Music Banter - View Single Post - Wovenhand
Thread: Wovenhand
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
dankrsta

I cannot decide which one I like more, 16 Horsepower or Wovenhand, but what is certain is David Eugene Edwards signature all over both bands. My favorite Wovenhand album is definitely Consider the Birds, the one I listened to the most with such strong, magnetic songs like 'Sparrow Falls' and 'To Make A Ring'. Although I must say I haven't heard the new one yet. (I'm not counting 'youtube-ing')

I see what you mean about 'gothic country' tag RVCA, but that is just a shelf for cataloging to make it easier for critics and fans. As is always the case, it's hard to put the most individual bands in the shelves and all these terms should be taken loosely even though they're convenient sometimes. That said, 'gothic' implies a certain romanticism, idealizing of past times, and playing with dark. There's a bit of that in Wovenhand themes and music, but what is more important for their work is not romantic at all. It's the conviction and true religious belief with which David Eugene Edwards expresses himself, all with self doubt, redemption, inner conflict and hope. It's very refreshing to hear such honesty and that's why Wovenhand is so magnetic.