Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Top 10 METAL Bands
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #1102 (permalink)
Hank The Drifter
Take it easy, but take it

1. Eyehategod - Its hard to put into words why I like this band so much. The music is just in your face, heavy, gritty and grimy, and pure emotion which is everything I like about music.

2. Sleep - Eyehategod and Sleep are like interchangeable in terms of my favorite. I like Sleep because I think they are one of the few bands that perfected the Sabbath sound without ripping it off too much. Not to mention the Volume One album is almost sludgey which I really love.

3. Warning - As a doom metal fan, I think this bands perfect. People whine about the vocals being too whiny and 'emo sounding' (lol) but I think they fit the music perfectly. Not to mention the soul crushingly heavy music. Its just that perfect dose of emotional moody soul crushingly heavy doom metal.

4. Saint Vitus - A traditional doom metal band that any doom metal fan has to be a huge fan of. Winos best work was done with this band and as one of the big bands in the doom metal genre I think they made/make great music.

5. Pentagram - Well, I could have easily placed them third on this list of bands. I'm going to place them here though because they are known for having released some not so good material and I feel the rest of these bands released all good material at worse.

6. Black Sabbath - Well I'm a huge fan of the Ozzy era Sabbath albums. Not only did it open the door to metal for me its known to be one of, if not THE, original metal band. I They released good doomy sounding records that gave birth to some of my favorite bands and so they certainly need a stop on my list of favorites.

7. Pale Divine - A band I feel is totally underrated. They have the perfect mix of groovy wonderfullness along with the perfect mix of doom and gloom. I honestly love the sound and wish more bands would follow along with it.

8. Orchid - This band has only released a four song EP right now, but right now, those four songs are enough to make them one of my absolute favorites. I mean its a good mix of Sabbath but like Sleep they manage to come far enough away from the Sleep sound to make it good. Where Sleep takes the more stonery route they, Orchid takes a more retro rock type sound. Something I'm a huge fan of.

9. Leechmilk - Another sludge band here. These dudes broke up a number of years ago but they released some very good sludge before doing so. I'm not going to type much on them, but if you're a sludge fan and don't know em' check this out.

10. Blood Ceremony - Another one of these bands doing the doomy/retro rock type thing. These dudes and dudettes do it with an organ and flute added into the mix. This obviously makes them stand out in so many ways from other bands doing this deal today. Also the female vocals really work. This music certainly isn't for everyone but it hits the stop just right for ol' Hank right now.

As you can see I'm on a doom metal kick to the extreme right now.

I know this posts entirely too long, I can remove it or whatever if you'd like lol.