Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Top 10 METAL Bands
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #1105 (permalink)
MagicMan
Groupie

Hank, I see you have a lot of Doom Metal bands there, many of which I have yet to try out. Thanks for the recommendations and here are some Doom Metal bands I think you would enjoy: Electric Wizard, My Dying Bride, Candlemass, Boris, and Mar De Grises. As for my favorite 10 metal bands, at the moment they are:

Enslaved - Progressive Black Metal outfit that have one of the most consistent discographies out there. Their latest album is, if not their best yet, in the running for the title of magnum opus.

Opeth - Almost anyone who have heard this band will agree, Akerfeldt's vocals both clean and harsh are some of the best metal has to offer. Blackwater Park is their best album in a stellar discography that features the likes of Still Life and Ghost Reveries.

Death - One of the founding pioneers of death metal, Chuck Schuldiner's (RIP) creative genius is fully utilized in the last two Death albums. The Sound of Perseverance is one of my all time favorite records and Symbolic is hailed by many to be the definitive death metal album.

Agalloch - Combining elements of black metal, doom, and post-rock; Agalloch have carved their own special niche in the ever evolving metal environment. Their music is full of life and meaning, something other bands try hard but fail to convey. Ashes Against the Grain is their best album and perfect for a cold snowy day.

Neurosis - No band in my opinion can set a tone for an album or bring out the heaviness as much as Neurosis can. Neurosis doesn't achieve their overwhelming heavy and colossal sound on a whim but will slowly build up the atmosphere until the tension becomes unbearable and the band unleashes massive riffs in crushing crescendos.

Converge - It took me a while to get into these guys but once I did, I've found very few bands can match the intensity and emotion these guys put out in each of their songs, be they forty seconds, or twelve minutes. For those who want real metalcore, look no further. Once you understand these guys, bands like BFMV, Norma Jean, and A7X will no longer be worthy of your listening pleasure.

Iron Maiden - Hard not to admire and have fun when listening to one of the pioneers of heavy metal and a pivotal band in the NWOBHM.

Gojira - It's all about the riffs if you want to give Gojira a spin, and boy do these Frenchmen deliver. Groovy riffs reminiscent of Pantera form the backbone of most of their songs and the band can often reach the monumental heaviness that can match up with most extreme metal bands out there.

My Dying Bride - A key member of the Death/Doom genre of metal. My Dying Bride is for those who want gothic, dark, and dreadful metal. The Dreadful Hours is my favorite doom metal album, and for good reason. Great music to conjure up a dark cloud on a sunny day.

Rosetta - When Isis announced their disbandment earlier this year, I was left saddened by the loss of such post-metal giants. Who could possibly fill in the void for such legends? Very shortly though, A Determinism of Morality came out...
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote