Music Banter - View Single Post - liquid swords more like lightsaber
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #51 (permalink)
TheRavenEffect
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfreek View Post
I thought freestyling was in a sense spouting some memorized rhymes and weaving them into a coherent rap? If it didn't require some memorization then I think anyone could start freestyle rapping at any point.
You're right in the sense that some people do it that way, and I think Eminem is just so perfect at that style he really pulls it off well. So while I would call his sh!t a true freestyle, he's the exception. Truly real, one hundred percent genuine freestyle's are legitimately off the top of your head, what you think up you spit out.

Look at the Cudi, Cole's second verse and everything from Mos Def* I just posted As well as the original video that started this thread of Asher Roth, I truly believe there's no memorization whatsoever. Some of Kanye's stuff, however, you can tell is mixed memorized material with true freestyle.

*Mos Def is up for debate here. I like to think he's 100% off the dome but he's just leaves me so incredibly awestruck that I force myself to think that maybe he'll throw in a material line every so often.
"I want to be one of those people, be they writers, poets, musicians, who leaves clues for the next generation. The really good people leave clues that help feed the human race. That's my aspiration."
-Julian Casablancas
TheRavenEffect is offline   Reply With Quote