Music Banter - View Single Post - The Doghouse v.II
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

So, starting with the David Sylvian Month portion...

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Forbidden Colours

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I give you my favourite song of all time!

Well, that's not quite true, as my favourite song of all time is the version on the Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence soundtrack with David Sylvian's vocal (hence the connection) but, then again, stripped to its bare bones, I guess the reason I put this song above literally any other that I've ever heard is for the melody at its spine, not to mention the intensity of the bridge. Although Sylvian's beautiful vocal and lyrics give it a totally different kind of edge, there's just such a drama to this song that whatever form I find it in, it's always gonna be my favourite piece of music ever. It's at once intense, dramatic, relaxing and just all-round friggin' awesome.

And, since I can't be bothered typing up something about another album just yet, here are a couple more songs I rather quite like...

Artist: Gene Pitney
Tuneage: Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart

Another item from the old fart portion of my music collection over the years, it was actually from a different not-quite-as-much-of-an-old-fart source that I first heard of this song. That was, of course, Nick Cave's cover of it (which I still can't bloody find a copy of), which was fairly decent I thought. Better than the first impression I had of it (really not a good one). What hit me after hearing his version on youtube a couple more times was how Cave's falsetto voice really made this song work.

And then this version hit me. I don't listen to any other Gene Pitney, but I just love this song. When all's said and done, it's probably in my top 10 favourite lovesongs of all time. Sure, it's all such drippy, Love Actually sentimentality, but damn does Gene make it work! Just listen to that "all of my nights - and all of my daaaaaaaaaaays letmetellyounow" bit at around 50 seconds and see if I'm wrong

Artist: The Cribs
Tuneage: Men's Needs

I remember when the Cribs' Men's Needs, Women's Needs Whatever album came out back in '07 or '08, which was in no way assisted by an interview I read in the NME slagging off all the British rock scene of the time (like the Kooks, the Killers and Pigeon Detectives, long may I never hear a fucking note from any of them again). Kinda ironic really, considering this the bloody NME they were talking to - overpriced bogroll really - but hey, the sentiment expressed was hella cool. So I got their album, thinking 'surely this has to be amazing'.

Turns out that barring the two singles, it sucked just as hard and sounded pretty much exacyl the same as the bands they were slamming themselves. Both of these singles though (the other being the awesome Moving Pictures) were a couple of the catchiest singles I heard that year. This tune just has a real fire in its belly that I've always loved. Just a shame I wasted a tenner on that rubbish album of theirs though. Oh well, I'd only have spent it on booze if I hadn't I suppose...
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote