Music Banter - View Single Post - Chap-Hop
Thread: Chap-Hop
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane of your existence View Post
I can't stand this. I've heard either this, or some guy just like him a long time ago. His lyrics are lullzy or whatever, but he's hardly breaking open some new sort of sub-genre or pioneering anything. At least I hope not.
Its better than another vapid boast about how much money/girls/power you have. Or talking about guns, or talking about being cheated on (Is it me or does every rapper have a song about a relationship that went badly?). I couldn't really be any more bored of that kind of thing. And talking about how good a rapper you are became old hat for me when I listened to Canibus and realised how much of a copout it is.

Far better to listen to Professor Elemental talking about cups of tea, or building a flying machine, or performing dental surgery, or exploring new frontiers and having absinth parties with midgets, or diss tracks about boxing, or how everything is splendid and he has a special hat. Or about Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Or a Fete. Or Steampunk. Or snuff. And thats in the space of one album.

Really. Rap needs to get over the rut its in. What better way to do that than to remove any element of its original culture lyrically and apply the same techniques to what is essentially unlimited fantasy? Professor Elemental could be reinvented as a character a million times over and still ome from a new slant, be it sci-fi, high fantasy, stories of the supernatural, etc etc etc. It has unlimited potential, and it makes the rap about characters who can be anything the rapper wants them to be, rather than about a bunch of predictable cliches that are eating themselves to survive by handing on references and props to each other as if the approval of other artists matter more than the approval of the fans.

----------------
Listening to: Professor Elemental - [The Indifference Engine] Fighting Trousers [foobar2000 v1.0.3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote