Music Banter - View Single Post - Good Live Bands?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #83 (permalink)
GravitySlips
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwardspiral View Post
Sonic Youth.

I believe their live shows haven't deteriorated since back in the 80s/90s when they were at their prime, their style of playing may have changed but that's not a bad thing. I was finally able to witness it for myself cos I went to both of their concerts here on the 30th December/NYE and they were absolutely spectacular.
Would fully agree with this. I saw them in London the day after Manchester (new year's eve) - fantastic as usual. A lot of songs from The Eternal, which isn't nearly my favourite SY album although it's still very good - but some old classics too like Hey Joni, Kool Thing, Schizophrenia and a few others. And they opened with Brother James - there is nothing better than bringing in the new year to the noisy guitars of Brother James!

Loved the other bands on the bill, Shellac, The Pop Group and (the end of) Factory Floor. Shellac, once again, were magnificent. An unbelievable live band, and one of the best bands of the past 20 years in my opinion. Played a variety of stuff from all their albums, all of which was quality. Great charisma, great banter with the crowd, and just tight as hell live (all of which could be applied to SY too). Loved it.

Seeing The Pop Group was fantastic too - never thought I would, and they were great on the night. Definitely an acquired taste, and I was with people who disliked them - I've been a fan for a while though and it was great to hear those crazy songs in the live setting. Best new year I've ever had by far, the bus trip back to Glasgow was HELL though haha.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote