Music Banter - View Single Post - Respond to a Short MB Questionnaire for all Members! Worth Taking. [Approved by mods]
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Music preference : Rock (classic, prog, folk) and jazz fusion from the 70s

How long have you been a member?
Just over two years. By the way, each member has join date under their avatar!

What made you join a music forum?
I was in an exploratory phase where I was looking for new music. Also, I was feeling a bit lonely at the time (I was literally in a place with just a computer and no other people) and sought some human interaction Musicbanter showed up on a google search.

How come you choose MB as your music community over other music communities?
I joined a couple, but I only stayed on MB as the community seemed mature and I found a range of interesting threads that caught my interest immediately on joining. I also made friends here almost immediately.

How does Music make you feel and what it means to you?
Hard to describe! More than anything, I think I appreciate aesthetics in music. For example, I don't really turn to music as a way to vent feelings of anger or frustration. Neither do I do it as a way to lighten depressions or anything. The music I like is beautiful to my ears and sometimes, listening to it is just euphoric. I can really get lost in it.

Tell me what makes the MB online forum work for you and keep you coming back for more?
Aside from a general fondness for the site and the people that make up for the community, I feel like I can contribute to the site. I can add to it and make it better which is something I like. This does not specifically tie in with my current role as a moderator. For example, I created the Album Review Index before I was modded. Just feeling like I'm adding worth to the site is rewarding to me, whether my efforts are acknowledged or not.

Describe an interesting experience you had on the forum?
Immediately after joining up here, I became friends with Comus and Anteater and they shared with me so much interesting music. It was the first time I've ever gotten friends so quickly when joining a forum and it was a thoroughly refreshing experience.

What have you learned or what will you take away from your experiences here?
The experience from helping to moderate such a community of course and the comforting knowledge that communities with real warmth still exist on the internet. And a whole lot of musical influences of course!

Let me know of any other points that you feel might interest me negative/positive about your experiences regarding being involved in a Music forum and its Members, now's your chance?
So it's not all positive and praise, the one real beef I have is that I feel many people want to get their messages across with the absolute minimum amount of effort. For example, if there's a thread asking who's your favourite artist, someone might only write "Michael Jackson, 'nuff said" without elaborating at all on why they think he is the greatest. I feel like it's a toxic culture of lazyness which unfortunately affects a lot of forum users.