Music Banter - View Single Post - The future of Music? (big question)
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dotoar
Supernatural anaesthetist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
If anything, this is a confirmation of my point. This **** will become nostalgia until something like Led Zeppelin/Nirvana/System of a Down comes around and mysteriously breaks into the mainstream giving a little bit of hope before it crashes down again. Sad thing is - with the exception of Led Zeppelin - even the bands listed are very limited, poppy, and short of the true potential of excellence music can reach.

When one of them breaks out we'll experience a brief moment of sunshine before it's sent crashing down again, and this stuff crawls out leaving us twenty years from now saying "Could be worse, could have been Gaga and Katy Perry".
One has to remember though, that most people aren't really interested in music (and no, cranking up the stereo for the weekend party, which most people do, alone doesn't count) and thus, not at all interested in digging deeper. My point is, however, that we who are interested also do our best to dig up something more profound than the background muzak on the radio, and some of us also try to cook something up ourselves that others might appreciate. But wether you're into "just" exploring even more obscure bands/artists for listening, or writing and performing new music, it all takes a considerable amount of dedication and as long as that community as a whole persists, good music* will continue to be made and evolve in the process.

If you'll excuse a not entirely accurate analogy: Think about scientists and inventors, those who really carry the technological evolution forward. As a part of the total population there aren't many of them, and there are not that many who in addition are very interested in their work. I.e. most people don't really care for science and technology, even if they all benefit from it. Those involved in it, however, carry on anyway since they know they may be gratified in the end, either upon seeing their own vision finally becoming realized and maybe even become acknowledged by others in the scientific community, or upon the commercial success of it when the masses acknowledge it (or rather, the fulfilling of the need it grants) through which he/she can make money.

Just the same, every - and I dare you to find an exception - popular mainstream musical genre has evolved from an at one time or another underground movement in which bands and artists has dwelled upon their own vision and maybe even the acknowledgement from the closest inner circle.

(I don't know if that made sense, but it sounded good in my head)

* "Good" music as I see it could be summed up as any music containing an artistic depth and vision in itself, in contrast to what I like to call "utility music", the thing you hear on the hit radio etc. That's not to say that artistically valid music cannot be commercially successful as well.