Music Banter - View Single Post - Gong - Gazeuse! (1976)
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
I don`t know to what extent the Canterbury music community was actually rooted in Canterbury city. The city itself is a pretty quiet place, exceptional mainly for it`s beautiful gothic cathedral. I spent a week there once, but didn`t notice any vibrant music scene of the type you might imagine in Seattle, New Orleans, etc.
It is certainly far stretching Robert Wyatt, one of the founding fathers of the scene, has expressed some dissatisfaction with the term as he himself is not from Canterbury.

One of my friends play bass in a prog band here in Oslo and they got Richard Sinclair to come here and lay down vocals on a Canterburyish track they did, so I guess then some might call them part of the Canterbury scene as well - or at least related to it. Then there's an israelian band called Sheshet which has been called Canterbury, simply because their sound was inspired by the Canterbury scene. There are other such examples too, for example the Japanese progband Mr. Sirius. Depending on how willing you are to stretch your definition, Canterbury could be something approaching a certain sound rather than a place.

Anteater seems to have a knack for sniffing up prog bands which are not connected to Canterbury by geography.

Perhaps not the best example, but here's Sheshet's Fall Nights Canterbury away from Canterbury?