Music Banter - View Single Post - A Couple Of Observations
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Default A Couple Of Observations

OK , first off i`m not going to pretend to be the biggest hip hop fan in the world. But I do love the occasional hip hop album from time to time. But there`s something thats been bothering me for a while now & that is this.

Hip hop has become stale.

Seriously , listening to hip hop now reminds me of rock music circa 1975. It`s lost it`s touch with it`s roots. It`s all big budget self indulgent wanking. It`s like Puff Daddy is turning into the black Phil Collins , Eminem is turning into what Alice Cooper was , at first dangerous & shocking but I wouldn`t be surprised if in a couple of years he`ll be hosting celebrity golf tournaments. Quite frankly the whole genre is dissapearing up it`s bling bling arsehole.

Now I know what you`re going to say , you`re going to say 'but there are loads of great underground acts' , and I would imagine there are. Just like there were good underground rock acts in 1975.

Anyway , we all know what happened following 1975 in rock music ... thats right ...punk.

And I think thats what hip hop needs right now , i`m not saying musically. I mean as so far as impact & reaction to it and make it fresh all over again.

Quite frankly Hip Hop is calling out for a Sex Pistols style band , one that`ll kick the genre`s arse into the next decade , one that`ll consign to the likes of Puff Daddy , Akon , 50 Cent , Mario , Nelly & all those other 'pop stars' that don`t have an original idea in their collective heads to the dustbin of history.

Like I said , i`m not the biggest hip hop fan , but I think it`s about time that the genre had a good cleaning out.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote