Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest All-Around Musician of All Time
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #91 (permalink)
zachsd
Music Addict

Including classical, than Mozart wins hands down. Don't see how there can be any argument there.

Contemporary-wise, I would say Charles Mingus. The reason why I'm hesitant is because a lot of his music is reflecting a somewhat strange time in my own life right now, so I might be somewhat biased. But looking at the question logically, I really can't think of many others who would top Mingus. Not only was his skill as a musician amazing, but equally amazing, if not more so, was his skill in leading musicians. Even his recordings on piano are pretty incredible, although there are definitely a few jazz-piano albums that I would place before Mingus Plays Piano (like Village Vanguard, although that is a completely different animal altogether). Albums that really stick out for me though are The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Blues & Roots, and Let My Children Hear Music.

And I find more spirituality in Mingus's music than Coltrane's, although I think I might be in the minority on that one. Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting completely turns my head around, like a musical high. I love how the scratches on the Blues & Roots recording make it seem like the music is too powerful to be recorded, like divinely sent or something.

zachsd is offline   Reply With Quote