Music Banter - View Single Post - A Couple Of Observations
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookers with machineguns
As far as those good rappers are concerned, take a look at guys like Nas, KRS One, Ghostface Killah, Scarface, Raekwon, Kurupt, Dead Prez, Talib Kweli, Dilated Peoples, 8ball, tech n9ne, etc. Most of them have their brief "bitches and hoes" moments, but are also well established lyricists in the rap game, and also achieve some sort of commercial success (to an extent). If you focus on one sector of any given genre, anything can look bad. For example, take the Indie Forum. A guest coming by seeing the same old threads on Bloc Party, Hot Hot Heat, The Bravery, The Killers- sh*t, you can say Indie needs a clean up. Or the rock forum, with people STILL talking about SOAD and Slipknot all day. I can go on for hours.
Oh don`t get me wrong i`m not saying that things are not like that in other genres on music , it just seems to me that in hip hop it seems to be a lot worse.

I mean lets be honest when was the last time a big name rapper came out with a successful, critically acclaimed album with universal appeal that changed the way people looked at hip hop & broadened it`s horizons?

I think the last one I can remember was Public Enemy`s Fear Of A Black Planet & that was over 15 years ago.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote