Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst Metal Band Ever?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #583 (permalink)
crash_override
Seemingly Silenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
You also have to think about his tone. His dry guitar sound is pretty much the "standard" stock metal sound you hear and I was sure he developed it. But I don't really know, I'm arguing for a band I've never even listened to.
Not only the guitar sound, but Phil's vocals also became the standard for metal vocals at the time. Vinny Paul also showed that power could be just as effective as speed when it came to being a great metal drummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Well it certainly didn't seem very unique at the time, that's all I can say.
I agree that they went through as rough and forgettable of a developing stage as any metal band in history went through, but in the end, Pantera found their niche. They were able to take a growing and emerging sound, in Thrash Metal, and put their own spin on it. At a time where metal bands were mostly trying to play and grunt as fast and hard as they could, Pantera showed the world you didn't have to play 100 mph to be heavy. They brought a groove and melody back into metal, and without sacrificing an ounce of heaviness or badass-ness in the process.

Kick on 1 & 3, Snare on 2 & 4. A bunch of crunchy ass riffs and basslines, some guttural vocals and a shit ton of badass image made Pantera one of the most heavy, yet accessible metal bands of their time.

I like them, always have, probably always will. I actually owe it to this thread for sparking an interest in them. Now I'm going back and re-visiting all my old Pantera. Thanks Janszoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote