Music Banter - View Single Post - Foobar2000 - Support and Discussions
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #122 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
ITunes has its problems, but I think I'll stick with it as a media library. Currently, I use Foobar2000 whenever I need to convert from lossless to 320 or some other file format, but otherwise...

What are the main advantages to using Foobar over ITunes or other programs for managing my music/playlists?
It depends on what programs you compare it to, but the different ways you can access your library and autoplaylists is something I personally appreciate.

For example, I have a library tree with various ways to access my music, one of them which looks like this :
  • Jazz
  • Rock
    • Prog Rock
    • Hard Rock
    • Folk Rock
      • Cat Stevens
      • Simon & Garfunkel

It also goes deeper into albums and songs .. I'm sure you get the jist of it. I have another one which goes by country as the root instead of genres, then alphabetically. Basically, you can define yourself how you want to access your library and by what information you want to use to do so.

For autoplaylists, I have a canterbury playlist for example. It stays updated with everything I tag as canterbury. I also have a "Canterbury favourites" list which is a dynamic list that plays all songs tagged as Canterbury which also have a rating of three and better.

Basically, you can use your imagination and if you can think of something that will fit your needs, you can make it happen. That's more than any other media player I've tried.