Music Banter - View Single Post - Orgasm In Journal Form-A James Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
James
Account Disabled

A Few Underrated Gems Of 2010

I originally was planning to do separate reviews of some underrated albums, but after writing a review I accidently deleted it. It's getting late and I don't want to retype the review so instead I'll do a roundup of the albums, like in my last entry. I apoligise for my laziness and may look like a lazy journal writer, but I really want to move on and do more reviews so I want this over with.

2010 in my opinion has been the best year I have ever came across in music. So many fascinating albums have been released this year and being around to hear the albums as they are released has been amazing. A lot of the albums I've heard this year haven't got enough love in end of year lists, and have been awarded by me as hidden gems of 2010.

Forest Swords are a band I very seldom see mentioned and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Their debut album Dagger Paths was released in february and it's one of those rare album that are near impossible to pin down genrewise. The album goes from sprawling, heavy, straight up Psych Rock songs with droning guitars to lovely, folky songs with perfect pop melodies. You can tell the guy has excellent music taste just by listening to the album and combining all these tracks together creates an absolute work of genius in my eyes. The guys vocals are brilliant and near perfect to the music, really staunch and reminiscent of a foggy night. Miarches the opener is my favourite, gorgeous song that I can;t understand any hate for.

Sean McCann is another musician who is very underrated. His album Open Resolve is one of many albums he released this year and it still manages to inspire more awe than most artists who released one. The music is so incredibly layered and complicated it's hard to believe the guy is so obscure. Pass Away may not be the best song of the year but it's certainly the most epic and the most fascinating. Sean McCann has been called the new Sun Ra and I would say it's an apt comparison as both had a certain mystique to their work.
James is offline   Reply With Quote