Music Banter - View Single Post - The Decemberists - The King is Dead (2011)
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
andy_chalmers_102
Groupie

Default The Decemberists - The King is Dead (2011)

The Decemberists
The King is Dead
(2011)

I’ve never really liked the Decemberists. I’ve always felt like I should have though. They share several characteristics with some of my favourite musicians. Colin Meloy’s nasally tenor is akin to that of Brian Molko, their use of unorthodox instrumentation such as accordion and melodica is reminiscent of baroque pop, and the band cites Death Cab for Cutie as an influence.

So what do I find so unappealing about their music? I guess it would have to be their reliance on concepts and narrative. I have no problem with concept albums in general; My Chemical Romance is one of my favourite bands. But Meloy draws inspiration from sources so obscure, that I find it impossible to circumvent the feeling of alienation. I’m bemused at how anyone can remain interested in him crooning about fairy queens and whatnot for the better part of an hour.

That’s probably why I found The King is Dead a refreshing change in direction. It would appear that the band have completely restructured their approach to making an album. Meloy has ditched the concepts, traded in the accordion for a harmonica, and enlisted the instrumental duties of R.E.M.’s Peter Buck. This new attitude makes for a less grandiose production, but also a far more accessible one. Meloy’s lyrics no longer read like an English Masters essay, and choruses are featured far more prominently than in previous releases.

It’s no surprise that the Decemberists called on Peter Buck to contribute to this album. The band wears the R.E.M. influence on their sleeve. The stripped-back folk rock sound of the record can be likened to that of an R.E.M. album, and it’s hard to ignore the offensive rip-off of “The One I Love” that is “Down By The Water”. Still, I’d much rather listen to an enjoyably derivative album than an original, yet overtly self-indulgent one.

Meloy has also toned down his vocabulary for this release. His lyrics no longer need to be bundled with a glossary sheet, as he has replaced his usual abundance of four-syllable words with simplistic, at times clichéd rhymes (“You keep on rollin’… like a ship at ocean, like a ship at sea).

On The King is Dead, the Decemberists have rid their music of everything that was distinct, yet polarising about it. While fans of the band may see this as a step backwards, there’s no denying that the group have crafted an enjoyable collection of catchy folk-rock songs, and that needs to be embraced. Try to look at this record not as a drift towards the middle of the road, but rather a swerve out of the gutter.

Rating: 7.5/10
Best track: June Hymn

Last edited by andy_chalmers_102; 01-10-2011 at 12:51 AM.
andy_chalmers_102 is offline   Reply With Quote