Music Banter - View Single Post - The Portuguese Music Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

It's about time I updated this...

Os Golpes are a portuguese band associated with quite patriotic and traditional themes, they seem to shroud themselves in some sort of monarchical mystique, an attempt at bringing out the glories of the past, and there certainly were some, whether or not boasting or being proud of it makes sense.

Here are a couple of tunes from their 2009 album Cruz Vermelha Sobre Fundo Branco

Whilst A Marcha dos Golpes sounds quite bold and glorious, Silêncio is a much more intricate piece of music, and it's that kind of song that brings them a bit closer to Linda Martini.

Embarcadiço could be considered the offspring of their traditional and more musically elaborate sides, but perhaps the lyrics are what gives off this feeling, as the band themselves say: "Isto é folclore disfarçado de rock 'n' roll" - "This is folklore disguised as rock 'n' roll".

Now, this "patriotic" side of them that I've mentioned before isn't some sort of smug superiority, and I'd like that cleared up. They're just really portuguese, and I appreciate it when bands put some effort into transmiting the portuguese identity. Unfortunately most people couldn't give a toss and it's probably why this kind of band's international success is nil.

So, what exactly does the band evoke through their nostalgia and remembrance?
Well, they remind us all of who we are and who we were, which is quite frankly fantastic, because, vapid or not, different cultures shouldn't fade away (which isn't to say horrible practices shouldn't, bearing other examples in mind), and a diverse world is a world in which we belong as well.
So, in short, these tunes really take me back to the somewhat impressive feats of our history: caravels sailing through the vast sea heading for the unknown and what not. Actually, it's quite important to point out the importance of the sea in portuguese culture. It used to be our bread and butter.

But, alas, I digress. Listen to the songs and bloody enjoy them!

Last edited by The Fascinating Turnip; 05-23-2011 at 12:55 PM.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote