Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #190 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
...is a mistake I've made with just about every new artist I get into

I actually thought something similar when I first heard him on My Aim Is True as well. It's a very archaic-sounding record that one - like a bundle of tuneage from one of those obscure corners of 50s rockabilly you can only really find by accident!
I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought that Elvis Costello was dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I haven't really listened to National Ransom so much, as I haven't really had the time to devote to really getting inside the record if you know what I mean (basically, I've only listened to it end-to-end twice). Not that I think it's a bad album (although I don't like it as much as Secret, Profane and Sugarcane), but just that reviewing it hasn't really been very high on my list of priorities since it came out. Definitely one of the most interesting releases of the year at least though.

Good choice flagging up Slow Drag With Josephine there - it's one of my favourites off the album too, along with Church Underground, Dr Watson I Presume and Stations Of the Cross.
Only twice, huh? Slacker.

I tried listening to the three other National Ransom songs you like and still prefer Slow Drag. I'll listen and read more songs in your thread before I pass verdict on Elvis #2. It is always fascinating to learn about a famous musician I never knew existed until a short while ago.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote