Music Banter - View Single Post - Rank the members of your favorite bands
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Grohl above Youth? Youth was a founding member and produced the last album and introduced the band to many new recording techniques. Grohl was essentially a session musician and whilst his contributions over the last few years has been exemplary the band has needed Youth back in the fold for sure.
In those terms I probably would rank Youth higher. I do definitely admire him quite a bit as a producer. But when I was doing those rankings I was thinking more in terms of which components I enjoy the most in a given KJ song, not so much writing or production duties. I honestly like all the members I listed a hell of a lot so it was hard to rank them at all, but I put Grohl where I put him because his drumming on the one album he was on is so mind-blowingly good to me that I feel he deserves special mention even though he was just filling the seat. The funny thing is I really never even gave Grohl much notice as a drummer until I heard that album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Interesting take on Lombardo for Slayer. His drum sound has become integral to Slayer over the years but I would actually attribute that to Rick Rubin who made that band.
I don't know man, he's a fantastic drummer even when Rick Rubin isn't involved.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote