Music Banter - View Single Post - Hipster Bands You Still Like
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #102 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Ah, "Hipster". Soon this world will join the ranks of "Overrated" and "Pretentious" on the list of words that are used incorrectly by 'music nerds' in order to assert their self-proclaimed dominance over other 'music nerds'.

I remember when I started to like Animal Collective, and then I went to catalog my ownership of their stuff and I was barraged by all of these "HIPSTER'S NEW CLOTHES LOL OVERRATED PITCHFORK TRIPE" reviews and comments which offer no actual explanation of the music yet create mountains of useless, sterile hype.

I would love to see the world 'hipster' removed from the English language, or at least have its definition justly changed. In the 50's, it had a positive connotation, prior to when everybody started to use it as a slanderous term for these so-called 'pretentious elitists' (most people couldn't even define what that term even meant if you asked them). Of course, nobody bothers to understand the history of a word, and instead they simply apply it to situations they see fit to at will - why do you think "Emo" became such a bad term as of late? When people stop relying on single words in order to categorize others for their 'bad' behavior, then maybe they'll be forced to think for themselves again and the world will know peace.

... Unlikely, but I'm a dreamer in that sense.

Last edited by clutnuckle; 01-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote