Music Banter - View Single Post - Noisy Jazz Hybrid Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

James Chance & the Contortions - Buy

Other songs feature more of the 'noise' part, but the sax parts in this are just too good to pass up.

Free Improv. Jazz with lots of noisy qualities are quite prominent, too.

Masayuki Takayanagi - Free Form Suite - The first half of this album is actually very modal-jazz-y, but the second half is an improvised madhouse which really reaches the apex in the last few minutes, becoming absolutely nuts.

Masayuki Takayanagi - New Direction Unit: April Is the Cruellest Month - Much noisier on a first listen, and more ingrained into free jazz than the one I previously mentioned.

Of course, obvious rec's for this stuff include Peter Broeztmann's Machine Gun:

Also, if free jazz with a lot of chaos/disonnance contrasting the melodic parts is something you enjoy, seek out Double Trouble Two by The London Jazz Composers' Orchestra. I couldn't get enough of it.

For something more current: Red Trio's 2010 Self-titled release was quite good if I remember, and it involved dissonance, though not as much pure 'noise'.

Oh, and John Coltrane - The Olatunji Concert: The Last Live Recording is one of the most noisy, unforgiving "jazz but not jazz" albums you'll ever hear. The 'version' of "My Favorite Things" on there is essentially 15 minutes of rabid chaos, then they play the theme, then... Just madness. Truly passionate stuff if you're in the right mood for it.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote