Music Banter - View Single Post - Strategies Against Architecture - The Avant Garde/Experimental Album Club
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
dankrsta

Arrow Strategies Against Architecture - The Avant Garde/Experimental Album Club

"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating."
John Cage

Welcome to the The Avant Garde/Experimental Album Club! Since this part of the forum has been slow, this might be a good way to revive it. I'm happy there are already people interested, but anyone can join at any time. The idea is similar to other clubs here especially to tore's The Prog & Fusion Album Club. I like the idea of every chosen album having its own thread. That means we are going to suggest albums for listening in this thread and then we're going to vote for one. When suggesting an album it would be nice to include some album art along with a name, year (it's not necessary, but I like it) and a bit of info (or at least a link to allmusic, rate your music or something similar). That way we will know what we vote for.

The next question would be: What makes some album avant-garde or experimental? Let's just say, any composer, musician or a band that you would write about in this part of the forum count. We're not going to be strict about tagging. This way, we have a very broad field to choose from, everything from so called high art avant-garde music to experimental genres of popular music. It just has to go out of comfort, established zone and be off-center.

For the first round, we can start suggesting albums these two days. Then, I'll add poll here and we'll vote over weekend. We will have a week for listening to chosen album. Plenty of time for it to sink in. After that I'll open the discussion thread. And then we can do this weekly. If that's all right with you, I can later edit these rules to be more readable.

Let's begin!

This week listening:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
I'd like to suggest:
Art Zoyd - Berlin

Strange very beautiful album by the fiercely underrated, and overlooked chamber-prog outfit Art Zoyd. This is the last album they've ever written that wasn't a silent movie soundtrack, and probably their last album as a 'band' rather than a 20, or so member mini-orchestra.(they're quite as big at this point but not as). This is the point where they really really were starting to invest in electronics, and this is pretty much an industrial album. Yet, a very melodic industrial album, and in 1989 probably one of the first few of it's kind.