Music Banter - View Single Post - R.I.P. Gerry Rafferty
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
... his album 'city to city' has a couple of songs that are just brilliant.
And Mattie's Rag is severely underrated.
It sounds like this album is well worth checking out; one review describes it as "melodic yet strangely enigmatic" and it`s probably his single most successful work.

Quote:
Originally posted by North Cottage
I first got to know Gerry Rafferty's music in early 1971, when a good friend of mine brought the album "The New Humblebums" around to my house to listen to.
There were a number of great Rafferty songs on this album, but my all time favourite (still is) was a beautiful song called . . . PATRICK.
Patrick is an extraordinarily moving song for me too. It was written 8 years before City to City, at a time when, to quote another review, "Rafferty's songs wandered sadly around the backyards of love, kicking cans and wondering where all the time went."
In his early years GR was a master at communicating feelings of nostalgia and remorse, as is shown in another song from The New Humblebums album, called Rick Rack. In this one, what starts out sounding like a harmless kid`s rhyme ends up by delivering a controlled but chilling emotional punch in the final chorus. It`s an exceptional song, so check it out if you can!
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote