Music Banter - View Single Post - R.I.P. Gerry Rafferty
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
North Cottage
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Patrick is an extraordinarily moving song for me too. It was written 8 years before City to City, at a time when, to quote another review, "Rafferty's songs wandered sadly around the backyards of love, kicking cans and wondering where all the time went."

In his early years GR was a master at communicating feelings of nostalgia and remorse, as is shown in another song from The New Humblebums album, called Rick Rack. In this one, what starts out sounding like a harmless kid`s rhyme ends up by delivering a controlled but chilling emotional punch in the final chorus. It`s an exceptional song, so check it out if you can!

Yes, I love 'Rick Rack' too, and it very nearly got into my 'Top Ten' Gerry Rafferty songs of all time.

These ones are my own personal top ten . . .

1 – Patrick (1969)
2 – Shoeshine Boy (1970)
3 – Night Owl (1979)
4 – Look Over The Hill and Far Away (1969)
5 – Please Sing a Song for Us (1969)
6 – Baker Street (1978)
7 – Blood and Glory (1969)
8 – Keep It To Yourself (1970)
9 – My Singing Bird (1970)
10 – Stuck In The Middle With You (1972)

What I found was, that while the “top five” were clear and definite, the second five could have been any five from the next twenty or so, including Rick Rack.

I have been (as you would expect) playing them all over this last week or so, even more than I have done in the normal run of events, recently.

It has been sad and happy combined, playing these songs. Thinking about it, that is pretty much the way it always has been for me!! His songs are melodic, beautifully sung, and invoke happy and sad memories, now as always.

Remember, these are my own personal choices. I'm sure many others would pick a different ten.

Would be interesting to see other peoples choices?
North Cottage is offline   Reply With Quote