Music Banter - View Single Post - Would You be Tempted to try Drugs if They Were Legalized?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #91 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeddyBass2112 View Post
I will have to disagree. Weed is legal in Holland and the legal age to buy it is 16. So far there's not been too much of a problem with underage use from licenced premises, partially because there's a culture there of vendors actually bothering to check IDs and the kids themselves respect the age limits for the most part.

Also, don't know a huge amount about US law, but at the moment (in the UK anyway) it seems that getting arrested for posession of any drug, weed included, can really mess your chances up: some colleges/universities won't accept anyone with convictions (mine didn't) for drugs, you can't travel to some countries (Australia takes a pretty strict stance on this for starters) and the Army usually restricts entry for anyone charged with drugs offenses.

Should it be legalized, they really can't do much beyond what they do for underage drinking: confiscate any contraband goods and tell you to leave the place you're at.

Major difference between these two scenarios. One will ruin your life,the other will be a hassle but otherwise less serious.

It's like anything: responsible use. You have a culture where age limits on things are respected and there's no issue. Bit like Japan: it's common to go into a magazine store and see 'adult' material on the racks right next to kids and teenage stuff, but the kids don't seem to bother to even really regard it.
You actually sound like you mostly agree with my position on this to be honest.

As far as the rules go in the US, in most states if you get caught with a small amount of weed you're most likely just going to get a slap on the wrist. In the state I grew up in, for example, weed has been decriminalized below a certain amount which means that the worst that's going to happen to you if you get caught with it, whether you're an adult or a minor, is it will be confiscated and you'll receive a citation. That's really no worse than being caught with alcohol underage. It's considered a violation, not a crime, and as such I believe it doesn't appear on your record.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote