Music Banter - View Single Post - Bass strings!
Thread: Bass strings!
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

i've been using D'Addario flatwound chromes for years. i freaking love them. super smooth feel and lots of nice low end tone. great for when you want more subtlety in your playing. not something i'd recommend for any sort of flashy or technical style. especially not for something abrasive like your typical punk rock bass tones.

pretty sure bronze bass strings would die super fast, and with the added cost of getting non-round wound strings, i can see that market disappearing almost instantly. the thing about non-round strings is that they're made to sound darker so they don't really 'die' the same way as typical guitar strings. personally i've had the same set on my fretless for going on 8 years now, and while i'm positive the tone has diminished a bit over the years it's not nearly as drastic as the other type of strings.

@GB - i think mediums are just the most common size offered for specialty strings like the flat or ribbon wound. i'm also not 100% but i think the strings are still made of nickel but have a Chrome treatment applied to extend the life of the strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote