Music Banter - View Single Post - Buddhism
Thread: Buddhism
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggyMan View Post
Well, 'Buddhism', like Taoism is, in it's original form in India/China and the rest of SE asia, more of a folk religion than anything. What makes you say Theravada has less dogma than Mahayana and Vajrayana? Seems to me like it's the other way around, but I prefer Taoist philosophy anyway, though Buddhism (Specifically Mahayana/Ch'an and Zen) could be said to be more practical, more focused on what needs to actually be done, so while I disagree I understand the appeal.
No... Theravada Buddhism deals less with deities and religious practices than the others do (i.e. religious dogma, etc). It is a more "philosophical" version of Buddhism... even though they are all philosophical. I guess you could say it doesn't require as much faith, in a sense.

Zen Buddhism is classified under Mahayana, so I suppose that particular segment of Mahayana Buddhism has less religious dogma. Overall, however, this is not the case.

Last edited by Scarlett O'Hara; 01-17-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: No need for double posting.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote