Music Banter - View Single Post - I am New and want to start writing songs?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Stone Birds
myspace.com/stonebirdies

as far as theory goes you can play whatever and still be correct in music that's the beauty of it you can play whatever scale you want major, minor, ionian, hawaiian, ryuoko (i think i spelled this wrong), blues, egyptian, you can even make up your own. you can play whatever notes within Key of C while holding the C chord they can all be complentary (the F might sound weird but if you like it go with it.) same thing with Em (the F and C might sound weird but if you like it go with it.) the things in parenthesis depend more on whether they're in a higher octave than the chord, if it's higher than they're true if it's lower than B ; ____ (if you play these in the key of C with the Em every note will sound fine.) respectively, but it's okay to use those notes in that way it's your sound.1

have fun composing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
If you're really so worried about a song being in a particular key and understanding the rules of the key, etc., I don't know if songwriting should necessarily be your focus right now.

If you're intent on writing a song that follows those "guidelines" so strictly, you'd probably be better off just working on the music theory learning aspect instead of mucking it up by adding in the songwriting itself - just my two cents.
personally for me it was much easier to understand theory THROUGH songwriting/composition.

//\\//\\/\\/\/\/\\\\\\\\///\/\/\/\/\\////\/\\\\\///\V

[Link removed by mod, no advertising] ... Damn those mods are always gettin ya :)
Stone Birds is offline   Reply With Quote