Music Banter - View Single Post - On Philosophy
Thread: On Philosophy
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dotoar
Supernatural anaesthetist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
i agree with proggyman in his having said you've missed the point.
I'm open for that possibility, but extraordinary claims call for extraordinary evidence.

Quote:
firstly, in order for someone to reach the conclusion that existence is a concept worthy of rejection, they would first have to conceptualize it. meaning, they would have already done some 'considering.'
Yes, of course. That applies to all cognitive processes that may or may not lead to conclusion.

Quote:
and secondly, instead of refuting proggyman's opinion of your statement with some of the foundations of your statement, you went straight to picking apart the things he said previous, which can be seen as having nothing relevant to say.
It was pretty easy to pick apart on a fundamental level. If the premises are wrong, the conclusions will be too. There's no use in dabbling in wrongly derived opinions if the issue lies within their foundation.

Quote:
no offense, but i opened that up and it was whack.
Whack or not, would you say that it was wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggyMan View Post
I see what you're saying but understand that there is no underlying reality behind the concept of a 'stone'. Just as there is no underlying reality to a concept of 'self'.
Now, remember what you said here...

Quote:
These are simply methods we've evolved of putting reality into pretty little boxes.
...contradicts with your obvious presumtion of 'reality' here.

Quote:
Consider this: Would it be possible, hypothetically, to take the stone and put it into a vacuum? Is it possible to fathom such a thing? That's all I mean when I talk about no-thing existing.
Yes, it's perfectly possible on a logical level. Anyone can imagine a stone and nothing but a stone, right? A stone bears some typical qualities, such as colour, size, shape, structure, hardness and material, all of which consists the substance of the concept 'stone'. The concept is indeed imaginary, but it points to an object that we can identify in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPat View Post
Oh, these debates. I had a lot of fun with these on that Big View website. Eh, I like Persig's concept of existence which states how nothing can exist until a human being acknowledges its existence. Because enable for something to truly exist, then it must be perceived as such. Seems like an egotistical concept, but if you think about it a little while... well, it MAY make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPat View Post
EDIT: There's no such thing as truth. There's only opinion.
Is it the truth that that statement was made and is upheld by you?