Music Banter - View Single Post - The Doghouse v.II
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Put simply, I fucking love this song, and so should you
^ I hope you guys know I'm just kidding about when I type stuff like this by the way.

Anyway, just to let anyone who particularly cares know what's going on with the album reviews, I switched computers a few weeks back, so I've kinda lost all those jazzy star-rating images I made specifically for this thread, which makes getting hold of them again a bit difficult for the new computer when all's said and done. I'll suss it out one of these days, but for now, here are a couple more tunes I'm a-diggin' right about now;

Artist: King Tubby
Tuneage: Dubbing My Baby

Ever wondered how amazing dub reggae can be? Look no further than this tune!

One thing I love about dub is that it can form basically the perfect foil for just about anything you wanna do while you have a good, non-intrusive soundtrack on the go, and it works better than a lot of ambient/avante-electronic as it always has one hell of a groove to it to just make it all that much more enjoyable. I guess you could say ambient electronica took a few of its cues from the dub music of Lee Scratch Perry, King Tubby and Augustus Pablo, not to mention an army of others, in that it creates that same chilled, perfectmusicalfoilfordoingwhatever vibe in the perfect sense, but whereas ambient, for me, focuses on taking that much further away from the constraints of music and you, me and Joe Bloggs may know it and into a new dimension altogether, dub reggae has a way of keeping your feet on the ground when all's said and done.

I've drunk quite a bit of whiskey as I type this, so I might look back at this and wonder what the fuck I was on about when I look back on this, but hopefully you get my point - dub is immense.

Artist: John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John
Tuneage: You're the One That I Want

I got chillllllllls that're multiplayin'
And I'm loosin' controo-ol
'cause the powwwwwww-er
You're supplyin'
It's electrifyin'It's electrifyin'It's electrifyin'It's electrifyin'

^ Just thought that needed saying.

Y'see, the thing I've got against musical theatre is that, like Absolute Beginners is prety much the archetype of, a lot of musicals just come across to me as a bunch of brilliant-to-poor songs that're separated by a flimsy, futile and confused plot, a bit like Grease here is.

But fucking hell, this is just one of the most catchy songs that has ever been written, and I don't care how many Madonna, Katie Perry or whatever-the-bloody-hell fans are reading this stuff there are.

Basically, think of the most crowded place that comes to mind (was it a shopping mall? I thought so. Bloody iPod generation) and think of playing this song - I bet you any amount of money that when that happens, you'll get at least 80% of that crowd singing (and, in some extreme cases, dancing) along to this tune. And you know why that is? 'cos it's bloody amazing!

Anyway, I haven't listened to much David Sylvian lately, so I won't be putting the old Sylvian Month bit into this post. I will be once I'm feeling a bit more sober though

Have yourselves a good night though, and see you soon eh

Last edited by Bulldog; 01-20-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote