Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #2722 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
What, really? And I thought the RB games were doing so well...
they're not doing horribly but they're not doing as well as Viacom would have liked. then there's the other factor that a lot of people forget - the initial costs involved in creating/testing the peripherals then making a commercial supply to satisfy the launch. there's a WHOLE LOT of money tied up in plastic instruments that are just collecting dust on a shelf at your local Best Buy or Gamestop.

in reality the company didn't exactly sell for $50. there's all the accrued debt over the years that some other company took over - plus a token amount to finalize the sale.

i think what really killed the rhythm game market is the executives running the show like it was still 2007 and everyone was going to be tripping over themselves to basically get the exact same product - again. ultimately there's not 'that' much difference between the titles, yeah there's a bit more polish, maybe a few extra little features and tweaks. but overall it's the EXACT same thing, a series of colourful blocks or circles scrolling on your screen. they acted like it was the the IT product of the last holiday season instead of the more realistic view of it having become more of a niche / party product over the years.

there ARE still plenty of people who play the game, but i'm hesitant to believe most of them are completely new to the genre. i'm pretty sure anyone who's legitimately excited about these games and their continued success / DLC support at this point would already own at least one previous version as well as having developed an ability to do more than just get through the beginner tunes on medium. at least the GH franchise seems to get this and caters to a more experienced / technically demanding crowd (plus the newest one comes with 2112).

i've also been playing an obscene amount of Borderlands again.

as for the PC / console divide i don't get it. i don't understand why there has to be some much porting happening between both (though piracy / financial issues are the root cause). i just don't find there are that many PC games coming out that make me feel like i'm actually playing a game made specifically for the PC and the unique way it can interact with a player instead of something that feels like i should be picking up my ps3 controller. even Civ5 got botched

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote