Music Banter - View Single Post - "Good" Pop
Thread: "Good" Pop
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Why not? I mean in his more ambient later days of course not. However, there's many reasons I'd consider Brian Eno pop.

A) Vocal based. The vocals are recorded very loudly, and remain a focal point. Words are very listenable, and presented to the listener.

B) There's a lot of experimentation but it isn't necessarily through complexity or virtuosity. It's done very much through very smooth studio production technique.

C) Songs are generally short, and generally not focused on overwhelming the listener with melody. Just very artsy poetry matched with light instrumentation, and clean vocals.

D) Not super-fast, but not super-slow. Easy for the listener to keep up with.

E) Singular marketable central figure who has complete control over the project, and whose personality plus creative vision shines through directly without any distortion to the fact it's him.

If anything, sound-wise Eno was at one point purely pop. I mean, If you consider the Beatles pop during their 'White Album' and 'Abbey Road' phases there's no way you could bar early Eno from that category.
Yea, I see your point. Just when I think of Eno, I think of his later work (because that's what I enjoy the most). But you're right. Come to think of it, I saw that poppy sound from him when he collaborated with John Cale.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote