Music Banter - View Single Post - The Unbearable Idiocy of Pop Music Elitism
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Not only that the Beatles INVENTED new studio technique. Backmasking, usage of feedback(well, this is a tad questionable), and subtle things like that. Beatles were an entirely new studio landscape, one of which was nothing like anything before. Structurally, they are far inferior to classical composers. I mean, I as a massive fan of Bela Bartok say that none of The Beatles even remotely touch him as songwriters. However, they were extremely inventive in the studio. I mean, I've heard things like some of the earliest, if not earliest, self recording digital pianos were custom built for John Lennon.

The Beatles were at least exploring cutting edge technique, and trying in their own way to expand it.
Plenty of modern classical/avant-garde/early psych rock artists/bands from the 50s and 60s (and even earlier for the modern classical artists) did all of these things before them, in a much more interesting, shocking and paradigm-shifting way. Yes, The Beatles did some good work with it, but they did not invent this style of studio work. Just because nobody was paying attention to innovation when it happened, does not mean that The Beatles started it, nor does it mean they deserve credit for bringing it to the masses.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote