Music Banter - View Single Post - The Unbearable Idiocy of Pop Music Elitism
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
I did not mean absolute bottom as in terms of quality, I mean as in terms of how deeply a lot of things were buried(and they're buried deeper now).

Besides, my original reply did say they were knocking off a popular sound. My thing was, they were at least knocking off the popular sound of their time, and - trying - to expand on it. Not just rehashing what was big in the 40s assuming everyone forgot it, or didn't have access to learn about it.
To which I retort with the exact same shpeel - plenty of others were able to mimic exactly what The Beatles did and get rich off of it (thus their music does not merit being worshiped if anybody can mirror their accomplishments), and The Beatles were not the first to do basically anything in the studio, but had the popularity to convince everyone that it was so. The Beatles were not the first to reinvent, and they weren't even the most intriguing at it, so what gives, really? I understand applauding those who gave it a try and did well at it, but claiming they deserved that excess press, the literal obsession that people had with them while other artists pushing harder envelopes (while still maintaining a moderately poppy merit, mind you) were starved of attention? Pass the love around if you ask me, and allow for more than just one flower to flourish.

Also, you seem to be forgetting The Beatles' first few albums, and the fact that their early kitschy sentiment still carries through their entire career, albeit it dies slightly as time wears on. They never did truly 100% escape the whole "We are painfully white and play rock and roll music." frame of mind.

I've just been reminded of how much I dislike talking about this band's acclaim. For every time I mention their purposefully-misspelled name, it gets another Google hit, the hype monster grows stronger regardless of the musical merit, and I die a little inside. And it's especially hurtful when I really don't even hate their music, but wish that that was what they were judged upon and not their sales figures - but I digress.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote