Music Banter - View Single Post - I am New and want to start writing songs?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Why does nobody get music theory. Music theory is not a way to tell you how to write a melody, it's a way to describe melodies that have already been written.

With the exception of ancient pre-avant garde classical there's not a genre out there that follows them tightly. In fact, that's why they have to completely rewrite the theory book every single time something new comes out. This music is generally boring compared to more daring post 1800s composers(I don't care what anybody says: FACT). It was only really a means so snobby aristocrats can keep their music sounding snobby, and aristocratic, and give them the illusion they were superior to the folk melodies the violinist on the street was playing, and they were stealing from.

I agree with 90% of the posters above me. Just play what sounds good. If you want to learn to a particular style, learn the scales of that particular style, but only use it as a guideline. Go through the excersizes while watching TV, or subconsciously, and then write without thinking about what you're writing. Play around, improvise, break the rules a little. Make music that's your own.

Christ, man, this is the reason why we had free jazz!!!
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote