Music Banter - View Single Post - The Unbearable Idiocy of Pop Music Elitism
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #70 (permalink)
RVCA
( ̄ー ̄)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that the Beatles and Lady Gaga sound the same. But you're pretty hard pressed to tell me that "Paperback Writer" doesn't sound like pop music (and bad pop music at that, IMO).
I agree that it sounds like pop, but I disagree that it sounds like pop circa 2008. They are two different genres as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
James quote here is really the key to your post RV. While the Beatles later music was more experimental and genre blurring, their early music was just a well made version of the standard pop music of their time.

In the same vein, I sort of see Lady Gaga in that position. Right now her music is just a step-above the average radio pop of today. But in the future, the Juilliard grad may take our pop music today and blend it into something truly fantastic. That's why I'm keeping my eye on her. Her combination of fame and talent is rare, and I know she has it in her to make a truly influential album.
Yeah I'm not writing her off completely just yet, but I do seriously doubt anything influential, memorable, or especially good will come of her.
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote