Music Banter - View Single Post - Screaming at the Moon
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #81 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post

I'm not sure why, when someone tells you about Styx, you hear either Renegade or Come Sail away, because if they've got songs like the one I've posted here, I cannot imagine why is isn't leading the charts.

I've never heard this song on classic rock radio, its never been mentioned on compilation discs, and can anyone tell me why?

Before this past Wednesday night, Styx was, to me, a band in time. Unless it was the 70's, Styx weren't relevant. But this track sounds like a Rush track juiced up on Testosterone. The organ smells of Deep Purple. The guitars wail like early Ozzy.

The vocals still sound the same but at least they aren't the sell-out, "play-to-the-vagina-in-the-audience" **** you usually expect from Styx. I dare say they took a page from Springsteen's book, if by that they could have somehow gone to Springsteen through Bon Jovi (who hadn't existed heretofore).

Musicbanter, I know you're into pretentious Dictionary-Rock so you can get some art house poon, but every once in awhile you need to listen to something with a set of balls on it. Listen to this, take off your ironic glasses, and go **** that chick who asked you for a cigarette. I know her mouth smells like a carpet store, but she's still a freak.

Thanks, Tommy Shaw.
Dear Mr. Tommy Shaw,

Thank you for that expose of how your band’s shitty overplayed music can actually be good sometimes. You made some good points but I am still deeply under the impression that your band, Styx, really truly sucks. On every song, no matter what you attempt, including Blue Collar Man.

Despite how you define Styx as sounding like a lot of other 70s crap (Rush, Deep Purple) with a hint of early-80s rock (Ozzy, which, how dare you compare yourself to Randy Rhoads you arrogant frizzle-haired mustachioed fuck), I see that you take pride in sounding like another, more futuristic shitty band, Bon Jovi. I respect this.

Normally I would expect to see you 70s radio rock legends denigrating your successors and mentioning how much more intricate and virtuosic your music is than theirs. You, however, are gracious enough to recognize that an even less talented, more commercial band like Bon Jovi is an apt comparison to yours. For instance you mentioned that your song Blue Collar Man really rocks hard and has a nice set of balls. This was in contrast to how your other, more popular songs have no balls at all (i.e. Come Sail Away, etc.).

You are clearly a man of honor because you recognize and acknowledge significant cultural trends such as the move away from your brand of virtuosic bullshit music to a simpler, more party oriented version of what you and your esteemed colleagues began.

Bon Jovi made some really terrible songs just like you did in order to please a record buying public who was rabid for whatever they could be fed as long as they could rock out and/or feel sad about unrequited or lost love. I can’t blame them, as I’m sure you agree, for sucking down the swill that was offered by your financiers. After your band offered a six-minute shhitfest of emotional balladry that begins to rock hard around 2:40..

Bon Jovi followed your lead and shat the classic I’ll Be There For You ballad. I’m sure you’ll want acknowledgement for how many more notes you played in Come Sail Away but you obviously respect the young man’s resolve. Bon Jovi’s audience was more into cocaine than marijuana and hallucinogens as yours was and he capitalized on this without ever taking his eye off of your model. He squeezed out the runny shit that is I’ll Be There For You with dumbed down guitar heroics and a blast of emotional heaviness twice as quickly at 1:20..

But that is not the point. You would like to focus on how your slightly more tolerable songs like Blue Collar Man should be remembered for the more rocking sounds of say, Roulette by Bon Jovi.

..with an added dash of the classic sounds of Bruce Springsteen. Super.

Good luck convincing MusicBanter that any of your music is any good. I, for one, wholeheartedly feel that all of it sounds embarrassingly terrible.

Sincerely,
Engine