Music Banter - View Single Post - The Send Someone Something They Dont Listen To but May Like Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #335 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
This is something completely different. Music is so warm, feels like spreading through space like a warm breeze. Well, this is definitely true of the opening track that somehow sets the overall melancholic tone of the album which can be felt even in faster, rockier songs. There are so many familiar moments here, from post-rock, Sonic Youth-esque riffs that reminded me of their Goo period to the best traditions of alt/indie rock. There's one song that encompasses all this - 'Dá-me a tua melhor faca', probably the best song on the album, just beautiful. 'Partir Para Ficar' is another very good one, with a melancholic Slint touch (I loved those somewhat shy accordion sounds). So many good songs here, it's really hard for me to choose favorites: 'Estuque' sounds like a weep, 'Quarto' starts like a typical alt-rock and then dissolves into epic post-rock instrumentation, closing 'A Severa'. There isn't one bad song here. What I find especially compelling is that despite the familiarity the music is very fresh and has something distinct, some warmth best heard in the singer's voice and overall melody. There's also some deep sadness here, not depression and darkness, but something I haven't heard in Anglo music whose influence is still very evident. I don't really know what it is, but it might be safe to assume it's something distinctively Portuguese. And I think it's beautifully reflected in the album art too. Thanks Unchained Ballad. I see myself listening to this album very often.
I completely agree. This album is seriously the best one to come out of this thread. The last song is also truly epic.

ps. This thread needs another kick in the arse.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote