Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #9166 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Very much agreed. Kidman was really exceptional in it.

And I definitely prefer it to The orphanage. Both good films, but while The orphanage faded pretty soon from my memory, The others are still pretty vivid in my mind.

And it does hold up really well to repeat viewings.
You see I think The Orphanage works on so many more levels and has elements of a ghost story, marital drama, suspense, mystery, twists and some wonderful set pieces and I have watched it 3 times and still find much to enjoy whereas The Others has a feel of contemporary British ghost stories that are two-a-penny and I have seen similar in terms of tonality many times before either through TV or cinema.

Each to their own I guess and that's not to say The Others is a bad film either. I just found it lacking in originality.

Anyhoo. I have been looking for this film for years and now I have joined an online rental site, I found it available for streaming tonight:

Despite having a slightly dodgy storyline, this holds up really well. I was impressed by Micheal Nouri's performance when I saw it around ten years ago and it's still very good and the action hasn't dated at all.

One of the better 80's B movies that slipped under the radar.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote