Music Banter - View Single Post - Phew - S/T (1981) [SAA Album Club discussion thread]
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
"Signal" and "Mapping" in particular were standout tracks for me. There was also a certain extent to which this album reminded me of Darkest Day's Exterminating Angel. Not sure if any of you are familiar with that one but it's another album I had considered nominating in this thread.
'Signal' is definitely my favorite too. You mean Dark Day 'Exterminating Angel' - yeah I looove that one. For me, minimal synth doesn't get much better than it is on that album. If you nominate it, it'd be another album connected in some way to No Wave, 'cause the guy is ex-DNA member. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
OK enough of that. If you like this, you may go in for another Japanese band, the more guitar driven female psychedelic Angel In Heacy Syrup. I would guess Ange In's vocals were influenced by Phew.

ANGEL IN HEAVY SYRUP on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Hey, I heard of that band. I have one or two songs on some compilation about Subterranean Records from San Francisco. Hmmm...Anyway, interesting connection to Tin Drum, like six degrees of separation

I'll write about Phew a bit later.