Music Banter - View Single Post - The Send Someone Something They Dont Listen To but May Like Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #375 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
This is exactly like you described it to me; an indie rock Mewithoutyou. He does have a great delivery, admittedly much like Aaron Weiss, perhaps a little too close. In any event, I enjoyed it, and the lyrics are clearly the most important aspect, but I'd have to listen a few times more to really appreciate them. Favourite tracks were Building Better Bridges, and These Hands Weren't Meant For Us. Thank you!
I need to check out that Listener album. What you said though reminds me of the band Wintersleep and their album Untitled. A lot of it reminds me of mewithoutYou but not because it's talk-singing (it's not), the singer's voice just sounds similar at times (as does the musical style in a few songs). Great album you should check out if you like mewithoutYou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
Dayvan Cowboy sent me:

Autechre - Quaristice

Well, this was interesting, to say the list. I went to this album as someone who doesn't listen to Autechre that often. I've only heard Tri Repetae before this one and I must say I still like it more. This album was hard for me to get into at first. It demands full attention, I couldn't use it as a background 'cause I found it annoying then. But when I sat and listened closely I was intrigued. It wasn't an easy listen mainly because of the huge number of tracks, 20 relatively short ones. I found it interesting that the majority of these tracks felt like fragments, miniatures and snippets of some nonexistent more developed and rounded tracks. These were usually the shortest, there were too many of them and they had so much going on they felt way longer. This is where this album is at its coldest, sounds very calculated, robotic and mathematical. The tracks I loved the most were the ones where this cybernetic quality is contrasted with some minimalism of repetition which gives an interesting dynamic, appears to have a development and establishes some atmosphere, like 'Tankakern', 'rale', 'WNSN' etc. Oh I have to add that I found the names of tracks also interesting, with many of them looking like they were picked up from some scientific formulas. Well, it fits with the music. So, did I love this album? Not really. Do I feel drawn to figure it out? Most definitely. Thanks Dayvan for this challenge.
Check out Quaristice (Versions), the bonus disc that came with the limited edition.