Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Default What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)

When I read Musicnative's questionnaire, I saw he posed an interesting question. How does music make you feel and what does it mean to you?

I don't want to ask this question, but I want to ask a similar one. Similar threads exist, but I would like to be a bit more analytical. I want to ask you what your favourite genres of music are and then explain music's biggest attractions, what it is that you typically like when you listen to a song. If you listened to music before your teens, I would also like to ask if the music you listen to now is more or less the same as what you listened to before your teens. Basically, I'd like to try and figure out a bit more what it is that makes people prefer some genres than others. For someone who likes the same band as me, are we drawn to it for the same reasons or do we appreciate different things about it? Are we taught to like a certain kind of music when we are young which we stick with or do we redefine our preferences in our teens or later, only to never return to the aesthetic preferences of our childhood?

Anyways, this is getting a bit spacey and fleety and I'm usually anything but so I've come up with a questionnaire format that I encourage people to use. Just copy, paste and edit the following quoted text in your own post!

Quote:
[b]Favourite 3 Genres[/b]
What are your favourite genres? You can mention as many as you like, but try and figure out what's your one, two or three absolute favourites!

[b]What attracts me to music[/b]
What do you like? Do you use music as a way to vent anger? Do you like music that makes you happy? Do you like music that you can headbang to? Does it make you feel powerful or do you prefer music that makes you feel sad? Might require some imagination!

[youtube]Some example(s) of stuff you like[/youtube]

[b]Are you attracted to the same musical qualities now as then?[/b]
Do you listen to music for the same reason as when you were a child? Or are you on a new path defined at some later stage in life?
I'll post an answer after this post that you can also use as an example. Oh, and don't let the formal format of this questionnaire prevent you from (also) posting in the thread as you normally would