Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Preferred Genres
Jazz Rock (/fusion), progressive rock, classic rock

What attracts me to music
What attracts me most to music is when I find it beautiful to my ears. I'm a sucker for harmonies and catchy melodies. The feelings I like the most in music are happiness or melancholy/sadness. I generally do not like extreme anger/despair/aggression in music and the songs I like the most are typically comfortable to my ears.

I listen to the music I like very often (albums on repeat) and I believe I find it has more replay value if it's a little more intricate than the standard pop format with predictable verses and refrains. It's not that I always prefer the trickier or proggier music (I don't, I like pop hooks as much as the next guy), it just seems to stay with me longer. I also have a strong preference for instrumental music rather than electronic and I very much like acoustic instruments. Put all that together and it may seem natural that most of what I listen to is from the 70s.

.. And I don't think the larger portion of what I listen to could be danced to in a club.

The Caravan song above showcases the kind of melody and harmony I might like in a song combined with a content, happy feeling that I definetly attract to.

This track again showcases the kind of beauty that I like in music. The haunting piano chords in the start conjure up a kind of melancholy which I love and the vocal performance is just tremendously beautiful to listen to. Intense, but comfortable track to me that I connect with emotionally.

A sung melody like this is irresistible to me and I can find myself humming or singing a song like this all day.

Beautiful melody and playing by Knopfler and a sentimentality that I instantly connect to.

Are you attracted to the same musical qualities now as then?
Yes, I think I am. As a kid, I was exposed and listened to music like Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, ABBA and so on which has a lot of the qualities I look for today I believe. In my teens, I had a period where I rebelled against this somewhat and listened to more punk and noisy electronica, but I've since gravitated away from that and back to the aesthetic preferences from my childhood.

So, this does not paint the whole picture (obviously) as I do like stuff that strays from these qualities, but you know. How about you?